Blood Pressure in Pregnancy Top 10
- What are the long term physical and mental health consequences of pregnancy hypertension (including pre-eclampsia) for the woman, baby and family?
- How can we predict and prevent shorter term complications of pregnancy hypertension (including stillbirth, fetal growth restriction, neonatal death, progression to pre-eclampsia)?
- What is the best screening test for pre-eclampsia?
- Following pregnancy hypertension, what is the best way to prevent future long term problems?
- What is the cause of pregnancy hypertension (including pre-eclampsia)?
- How can pregnancy hypertension (including pre-eclampsia) be prevented in a subsequent pregnancy?
- What are the educational needs of healthcare professionals managing women with pregnancy hypertension?
- What is the best way to diagnose pre-eclampsia promptly?
- What is the best way to manage pregnancy hypertension (including optimal antenatal and postnatal antihypertensive medication and optimal timing of delivery)
- How can we provide better support for women with pregnancy hypertension and their families?
The following questions were also discussed and put in order of priority at the workshop:
- What pre-pregnancy management of women with chronic hypertension optimises pregnancy outcomes?
- What is the effectiveness and safety of antihypertensive agents at reducing blood pressure in women with pregnancy hypertension?
- What can be done prior to pregnancy to reduce the risk of pregnancy hypertension?
- Is there a hereditary link in pre-eclampsia and are the risks different for daughters and sons after an affected pregnancy?
- How can we optimise information giving for those at risk of or affected by pregnancy hypertension?
- What are the fetal, infant and child outcomes in women taking antihypertensive agents?
- What are the optimum blood pressure thresholds (for initiation) and targets for postnatal antihypertensive treatment?
- What are the optimum blood pressure thresholds (for initiation) and targets for antenatal antihypertensive treatment?
- How does the placenta contribute to pre-eclampsia?
- What is the effectiveness and safety of pharmacological treatments once pre-eclampsia is diagnosed?
For full details of all of the questions identified by this PSP, please see the document below.