Anaesthesia (Canada) Top 10
- Which factors before, during, and after receiving anesthesia for surgery are most important to improve patient outcomes and satisfaction?
- What are the impacts of involving patients in shared decision making about anesthesia and care options before, during, and after surgery?
- What data should be collected from patients about anesthesia care before, during, and after surgery to better understand their outcomes and experiences?
- How can errors and patient injuries in anesthesia care be prevented?
- How can outcomes in frail and/or elderly patients be improved after receiving anesthesia for surgery?
- What is the impact of reducing opioids (a type of medication that reduces pain, like morphine) during anesthesia on patient outcomes and opioid dependence after surgery?
- What preparation, treatment, or assessment before receiving anesthesia for surgery improves patient outcomes?
- How can patients’ feedback about their experiences before, during and after surgery be used to improve anesthesia care?
- How can anesthesiologists improve pain control after surgery?
- What are the common long-term side effects of anesthesia after surgery?
The following questions were also discussed and put in order of priority at the workshop:
- What are the impacts of cannabis on anesthesia care and pain management after surgery?
- How can anesthesiologists better use current (or create new) monitoring tools during and after surgery to improve patient care and outcomes?
- What choices in anesthesia care can improve patient outcomes, side effects, and safety?
- How well are patients supported after they are discharged from hospitals after anesthetic care?
- Are there specific surgeries for which regional anesthesia blocks (blocking feelings of pain without putting patients to sleep) provide better patient outcomes?
- How can health in frail and/or elderly patients be enhanced before receiving anesthesia for surgery?
- What are the impacts of anesthesia team communication on patient outcomes?
- What is the evidence for better patient outcomes for general anesthesia vs. regional anesthesia, and is there any evidence for which type of regional (either spinal or epidural) is better?
- What is the relationship between anesthetic drugs and post-operative cognitive dysfunction and memory loss in patients?
- What strategies can help reduce delirium after receiving anesthesia for surgery?
- What is the evidence for eating and drinking before receiving anesthesia for surgery?
- How does having the same anesthesiologist and care team before, during, and after surgery impact patient outcomes and experience?
- What anesthesiologist factors impact patient outcomes?
- Does the type or size of hospital impact the quality of anesthesia care?
For full details of all of the questions identified by this PSP, please see the document below.