Age-Related Macular Degeration (AMD) Top 10
- Can a treatment to stop dry AMD progressing and/or developing into the wet form be devised?
- What is the cause of AMD?
- How can AMD be prevented?
- Are there ways of restoring sight loss for people with AMD?
- Can the development of AMD be predicted?
- What is the most effective way to detect and monitor the progression of early AMD?
- What factors influence the progression of AMD?
- Can a non-invasive therapy be developed for wet AMD?
- Can dietary factors, nutritional supplements, complementary therapies or lifestyle changes prevent or slow the progression of AMD?
- What are the best enablement strategies for people with AMD?
The following questions were also discussed and put in order of priority at the workshop:
- What is the prospect of developing a screening programme for early detection of AMD?
- How effective and safe are current treatments for wet AMD?
- Does cataract surgery influence the development/progression of AMD?
- How can anti-VEGF treatments e.g. Lucentis be tailored to specific genetic markers predictive for the development of wet AMD?
- Is AMD affected by statins?
- What is the effectiveness of combining intravitreal steroids with anti-VEGF compared to ani-VEGF treatment alone for patients with wet AMD?
- Can donor eyes, or their components, ever be used to restore vision for people with AMD?
- What is the best way to assess responses to anti-VEGF treatments for people with wet AMD?
- What causes Charles Bonnet syndrome?
For full details of all of the questions identified, please see the document below.