Neurodevelopmental Disorders (Canada) Top 10
- What are the most effective treatment options/plans (e.g., timing, frequency, duration, type, intensity or dosage) for individuals with neurodevelopmental disorders for both short and long-term benefits?
- How can system navigation be organized in a manner that enables coordinated services and supports across the lifespan for individuals with neurodevelopmental disorders and their families?
- Which biological treatments (including medications, gene therapy, stem cell therapy, etc.) are effective for neurodevelopmental disorders and associated symptoms?
- Which child and family-centered interventions or approaches promote optimal individual and family functioning?
- Which interventions best help individuals with neurodevelopmental disorders develop emotional and behavioural regulation (including increasing impulse control and reducing compulsive behaviour)?
- Which resources are needed to more effectively address the health, social and emotional needs of families or caregivers of individuals with neurodevelopmental disorders?
- How can treatment decisions for individuals with neurodevelopmental disorders be more precise (i.e., based on the diagnosis, age, functional need of the individual)?
- Which are the most effective pharmacological and non-pharmacological treatments for aggressive and self-injurious behaviour in individuals with neurodevelopmental disorders?
- Which are the most effective pharmacological and non-pharmacological intervention(s) to reduce anxiety in individuals with neurodevelopmental disorders?
- Which interventions are most effective to help individuals with neurodevelopmental disorders improve their social skills and develop and maintain social relationships?
The following questions were also discussed and put in order of priority at the workshop:
- How can educators and multi-disciplinary teams be better trained to provide individualized education for and accommodate children with neurodevelopmental disorders to ensure optimal outcomes?
- Which supports are most effective to protect individuals with neurodevelopmental disorders from abuse (e.g. physical, sexual, bullying) and other threats to their wellbeing?
- Which intervention(s) are the most effective for improving executive functioning (e.g. rigid thinking, planning, organizing, sustaining attention, working memory, etc.) in individuals with neurodevelopmental disorders?
- How can barriers be reduced to ensure timely access of services, treatments and supports for neurodevelopmental disorders?
- How can access to coordinated care (including diagnosis and treatment) for individuals with multiple neurodevelopmental disorders be improved?
- How can families and caregivers be more involved and supported to make informed decisions that address their needs, preferences and priorities?
- Which are the most effective interventions to improve cognition and address learning deficits in individuals with neurodevelopmental disorders?
- How do co-occurring disorders impact treatment decisions for individuals with a neurodevelopmental disorder?
- Which teaching strategies, classroom approaches and supports/services work best to meet the academic needs of students with neurodevelopmental disorders?
- What are the beneficial effects of cannabis products and/or medicinal marijuana for individuals with neurodevelopmental disorders?
For full details of all of the questions identified by this PSP, please see the document below.