Amputation Top 10 Priorties (priority setting in association with the JLA)
A workshop was held on 25th January 2021 to bring together patients and healthcare professionals to jointly agree a priority list for amputation research. The results were as follows:
Priorities 8a-c were ranked equally at the workshop.
- How can we reduce the rates of major lower limb amputations?
- What are the best ways to support rehabilitation following amputation?
- How can we improve clinical outcomes for patients following major limb amputation?
- What are the best ways to prevent or treat pain (including phantom pain) after amputation?
- How do we improve the information provided to patients undergoing amputation?
- In a person who has undergone a minor amputation in the foot, how are the chances of a subsequent major lower limb amputation above the ankle reduced?
- How do you improve healing of the amputated stump?
- a) In a person who has undergone amputation, how do you reduce the chances of amputation in the other limb?
- b) How do we optimise prosthetic limb use following amputation?
- c) When is it appropriate to perform a major amputation?
The following questions were also discussed and put in order of priority at the workshop:
- Is through or above knee amputation better?
- What are the best mobility aids following amputation?