Foot and Ankle Surgery PSP Top 10
- What are the best outcome measures (ways of assessing the effect of the treatment) after foot and ankle surgery?
- What treatment is best for Achilles tendon pain?
- What is the best treatment (including surgery) for tibialis posterior (tendon on the inner side of the ankle) dysfunction leading to a successful long-term outcome?
- Should physiotherapy be provided following foot and ankle surgery and is there an optimal amount needed to restore function after foot and ankle surgery?
- At what stage should a patient with ankle instability (ie an ankle that keeps giving way) be considered for surgical treatment?
- How effective are steroid injections in improving pain from arthritis in the foot and ankle?
- What is the best surgery for bone and cartilage defects in the talus?
- What is better, ankle fusion or ankle replacements?
- What is the success of surgical lengthening of the calf muscle in improving forefoot pain?
- When is the best time to start weight bearing after ankle fusion/replacement surgery?
The following questions were also discussed and put in order of priority at the workshop:
- What is the best heel pad pain (plantar fasciitis) treatment?
- Does vitamin D affect healing after fusion in foot and ankle surgery?
- What surgical intervention leads to the best long-term function of the foot following bunion surgery, and are there specific exercises that can improve it?
- How will an ankle fusion affect activities of daily living?
- What are the best ways of improving walking after ankle or foot fusion surgery?
- What is the best treatment for plantar plate tear (ligament that keeps toes in place)?
For full details of all of the questions identified by this PSP, please see the document below.