Diabetes and Pregnancy Top 10
- How can diabetes technology be used to improve pregnancy, birth, and mother and child health outcomes?
- What is the best test to diagnose diabetes in pregnant women?
- For women with diabetes, what is the best way to manage blood sugar levels using diet and lifestyle during pregnancy?
- What are the emotional and mental well-being needs of women with diabetes before, during, and after pregnancy, and how can they best be supported?
- When is it safe for pregnant women with diabetes to give birth at full term compared with early delivery via induction or elective caesarean?
- What are the specific postnatal care and support needs of women with diabetes and their infants?
- What is the best way to test for and treat diabetes in late pregnancy, i.e. after 34 weeks?
- What is the best way to reduce the risk or prevent women with gestational diabetes developing other types of diabetes any time after pregnancy?
- What are the labour and birth experiences of women with diabetes, and how can their choices and shared decision making be enhanced?
- How can care and services be improved for women with diabetes who are planning pregnancy?
The following questions were also discussed and put in order of priority at the workshop:
- What are the long-term effects on the child (apart from risk of diabetes) due to the mother having diabetes during pregnancy?
- Does diabetes in the mother affect the short and long-term risk of the child (and future generations) developing diabetes and can it be prevented?
- How can remote clinics (telemedicine) be used to improve care for pregnant women with diabetes?
- How can a woman with diabetes best prepare for pregnancy? For example blood sugar level targets, nutrition.
- In women with diabetes, what is the best way to manage their blood sugar levels during labour and delivery?
- Why do standards and advice for pregnant women with diabetes vary across NHS Trusts?
- Does testing all pregnant women for gestational diabetes improve pregnancy outcomes?
- Is it always necessary for pregnant women with diabetes to be induced?