Complex Fractures Top 10
- What is the best way to reduce the risk of infection after complex fractures?
- What is the optimal outpatient rehabilitation strategy for patients with complex fractures?
- What psychological support would be useful for patients with complex fractures and when?
- Is it possible to determine which patients will develop complications, arthritis and poor functional outcomes after complex fractures?
- What are the options for preventing and treating chronic (long-term) pain after complex fractures?
- What is important to patients recovering from complex fractures?
- What additional care and support is helpful for patients being discharged from hospital after a complex fracture?
- When is it better to replace, fix or fuse fractures around the ankle, knee or acetabulum (hip socket)?
- Can patients be provided with expected recovery times for functional recovery and return to life roles after complex fractures?
- Can peer support (from other patients) be used to help patients with complex fractures?
The following questions were also discussed and put in order of priority at the workshop:
- When is it safe to start weight-bearing and joint movement after a complex fracture?
- What information would be helpful to give to patients sustaining complex fractures and how would this be best delivered?
- In patients with multiple injuries, which fractures need fixing and when?
- What is the best way to predict which fracture-associated nerve injuries will recover without treatment?
- How can we assess and improve bone health after complex fractures to promote healing and prevent future fractures?
- What is the best strategy for preventing blood clots after complex fractures?
- What is the best bone defect reconstruction option in the acute treatment of complex fractures?
- Should metalwork routinely be removed after surgery and when?