Priority 5 from the Blood Transfusion and Blood Donation PSP
|UNCERTAINTY: How can patients, relatives and carers be empowered to have greater say about their choices in relation to blood transfusion and its alternatives? (JLA PSP Priority 5)
|JLA question ID
|Not available for this PSP
|1. NICE Guideline Recommendations:
43. Provide verbal and written information to patients who may have or who have had a transfusion, and their family members or carers (as appropriate), explaining:
• the reason for the transfusion
• the risks and benefits
• the transfusion process
• any transfusion needs specific to them
• any alternatives that are available, and how they might reduce their need for a transfusion
• that they are no longer eligible to donate blood
• that they are encouraged to ask questions.
44. Document discussions in the patient's notes.
45. Provide the patient and their GP with copies of the discharge summary or other written communication that explains:
• the details of any transfusions they had
• the reasons for the transfusion
• any adverse events
• that they are no longer eligible to donate blood.
46. For guidance on communication and patient-centred care for adults, see the NICE guideline on patient experience in adult NHS services
|Health Research Classification System category
|Generic Health Relevance
|Extra information provided by this PSP
|Original uncertainty examples
|Could alternatives be further explained to patients prior to transfusion route? ~ How can the world of medicine become more open minded with patients who do not desire a blood transfusion as treatment ~ Should people about to undergo transfusion be counselled about their future ability to donate blood? ~ How do we improve public perception that having a blood transfusion is not the "answer to everything" ~ How could we empower patients to improve anaemia?
|1 blood recipient ~ 6 relatives or carers of blood recipients ~ 7 blood donors ~ 12 health professionals ~ 6 unknown
|PSP unique ID
|Blood Transfusion and Blood Donation
|Total number of uncertainties identified by this PSP.
|51 (To see a full list of all uncertainties identified, please see the detailed spreadsheet held on the JLA website)
|Date of priority setting workshop
|28 February 2018