Priority 15 from the Blood Transfusion and Blood Donation PSP
|UNCERTAINTY: How can any negative long term effects of blood transfusion be prevented? (JLA PSP Priority 15)|
|JLA question ID||0063/15|
|Explanatory note||Not available for this PSP|
|1. Li SL, Ye Y, Yuan XH. Association between allogeneic or autologous blood transfusion and survival in patients after radical prostatectomy: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Plos One. 2017;12(-1):e0171081-e.
2. Xie JW, Xu B, Kang PD, Zhou ZK, Shen B, Yang J, et al. [The efficacy and safety of postoperative retransfusion drain following total hip arthroplasty: a meta-analysis]. Zhonghua Wai Ke Za Zhi [Chinese Journal of Surgery]. 2016;54(-2):108-13.
3. Thongprayoon C, Cheungpasitporn W, Gillaspie EA, Greason KL, Kashani KB. Association of blood transfusion with acute kidney injury after transcatheter aortic valve replacement: A meta-analysis. World Journal of Nephrology. 2016;5(-5):482-8.
4. Mainou M, Alahdab F, Tobian AA, Asi N, Mohammed K, Murad MH, et al. Reducing the risk of transfusion-transmitted cytomegalovirus infection: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Transfusion. 2016.
5. Kim JL, Park JH, Han SB, Cho IY, Jang KM. Allogeneic blood transfusion is a significant risk factor for surgical-site infection following total hip and knee arthroplasty: a meta-analysis. The Journal of Arthroplasty. 2016.
6. Keir AK, Wilkinson D, Andersen C, Stark MJ. Washed versus unwashed red blood cells for transfusion for the prevention of morbidity and mortality in preterm infants. The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2016(-1):CD011484-CD.
7. Jones AR, Frazier SK. Association of blood component ratio with clinical outcomes in patients after trauma and massive transfusion: a systematic review. Advanced Emergency Nursing Journal. 2016;38(-2):157-68.
8. Harnan S, Ren S, Gomersall T, Everson-Hock ES, Sutton A, Dhanasiri S, et al. Association between transfusion status and overall survival in patients with myelodysplastic syndromes: a systematic literature review and meta-analysis. Acta Haematologica. 2016;136(-1):23-42.
9. Cata JP, Lasala J, Pratt G, Feng L, Shah JB. Association between perioperative blood transfusions and clinical outcomes in patients undergoing bladder cancer surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis study. Journal of Blood Transfusion. 2016;2016:9876394-.
10. Sarai M, Tejani AM. Loop diuretics for patients receiving blood transfusions. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2015(2):CD010138-CD.
11. Muller MC, van Stein D, Binnekade JM, van Rhenen DJ, VlaarAp. Low-risk transfusion-related acute lung injury donor strategies and the impact on the onset of transfusion-related acute lung injury: a meta-analysis. Transfusion. 2015;55(1):164-75.
12. Kwok CS, Sherwood MW, Watson SM, Nasir SB, Sperrin M, NolanJ, et al. Blood transfusion after percutaneous coronary intervention and risk of subsequent adverse outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. JACC: Cardiovascular Interventions. 2015;8(3):436-46.
13. Kopolovic I, Ostro J, Tsubota H, Lin Y, Cserti-Gazdewich CM, Messner HA, et al. A systematic review of transfusion-associated graft-versus-host disease. Blood. 2015;126(-3):406-14.
14. Keir AK, Pal S, Trivella M, Lieberman L, Callum J, Shehata N, et al. A systematic review and meta-analysis of risks of red cell transfusion for neonatal morbidities or mortality. Vox Sanguinis. 2015;109((Suppl. 1)):31-2.
15. Keir A, Pal S, Trivella M, Lieberman L, Callum J, Sheheta N, et al. Adverse effects of RBC transfusions in neonates: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Abstracts of the HAA 2015 Annual Scientific Meeting. 2015:196-7.
16. Balvers K, Wirtz MR, van Dieren S, Goslings JC, Juffermans NP. Risk factors for trauma-induced coagulopathy and transfusion-associated multiple organ failure in severely injured trauma patients. Frontiers in Medicine. 2015.
|Health Research Classification System category||Generic Health Relevance|
|Extra information provided by this PSP|
|Original uncertainty examples||What future harm does a transfusion cause? ~ What proportion of frequent platelet recipients develop HLA or specific antibodies? ~ What is the relationship between blood transfusion and poorer outcome in the era of leukocyte-depleted blood? ~ Is there any long term follow up for patients who have received the wrong unit of blood? ~ What are the risks of blood transfusions? ~ What can be done to decrease the number of reactions in multitransfused patients?|
|Submitted by||5 blood recipients ~ 6 relatives or carers of blood recipients ~ 13 blood donors ~ 20 health professionals|
|PSP unique ID||0063|
|PSP name||Blood Transfusion and Blood Donation|
|Total number of uncertainties identified by this PSP||51 (To see a full list of all uncertainties identified, please see the detailed spreadsheet held on the JLA website)|
|Date of priority setting workshop||28 February 2018|