Cleft Lip and Palate Top 10
- What types of psychological intervention (individual therapy, community or school based) and at what time (from diagnosis to adulthood) are most helpful for patients with a cleft of the lip and/or palate and their families?
- What are the educational, employment and personal (eg relationships) outcomes for individuals with a cleft of the lip and/or palate during childhood, adolescence and in the long term?
- What is the best protocol for primary repair of both the lip and palate, including technique/timing and sequence?
- In individuals with a cleft of the lip and/or palate when is the most effective age to begin speech therapy?
- What is the best treatment for otitis media with effusion (glue ear) in individuals with a cleft of the lip and/or palate?
- Can stem cells be used to improve palate repair (both primary and secondary)?
- What interventions would enhance the educational outcomes for children with a cleft of the lip and/or palate?
- What is the impact of having a baby born with a cleft of the lip and/or palate on maternal/child attachment?
- What is the best way to manage infants with a cleft of the lip and/or palate undergoing primary surgery before, during and after hospital Eg. Fluids, pain control, antibiotics, probiotics, arm splints, feeding practices?
- What are the genetic and environmental causes of clefts of the lip and/or palate?
- How can we improve the diagnosis of cleft palate (without cleft lip)?
- What is the best way to prevent tooth decay in children with a cleft of the lip and/or palate?
The remaining questions discussed at the workshop were (in no order of priority):
- For infants born with cleft lip/palate what is the most effective care pathway for promoting mother/infant bonding?
- How can reflux be treated best in babies with cleft lip/palate?
- In individuals with cleft lip/palate what is the most effective speech therapy to eliminate cleft type speech characteristics?
- What are the factors that predict the psychological outcomes for individuals with cleft lip/palate?
- What can be done to improve the experience of families of a baby with cleft lip/palate at time of birth in hospital?
- What can be done to prevent cleft lip/palate?
- What exposures pre and during pregnancy increase the risk of having a baby with a cleft?
- What is the best feeding method for babies with cleft lip/palate, including those with syndromes (including breast feeding, nasogastric tubes and weaning times)?
- What is the heritability of cleft lip/palate?
- What is the impact of an antenatal diagnosis of cleft lip/palate on the mother, child and the family?
- What is the impact of parenting approach on the outcomes for children with cleft lip/palate?
- What is the most effective intervention for children with cleft lip/palate to minimise the impact of bullying?
- What surgical outcomes are important to patients with a cleft lip/palate and are they met?
To see more about the uncertainties identified for Cleft Lip and Palate see the document below