Wounds Top 10 Priorities (priority setting in association with the JLA)
A workshop was held on 18th May 2021 to bring together patients and healthcare professionals to jointly agree a priority list for vascular wounds research. The results were as follows:
- How can patient involvement in the decisions about their wounds be improved?
- How can healing of open wounds be accelerated?
- How can quality of life be improved in patients with open wounds?
- How can wound care be personalised to meet patient circumstances or needs?
- Which service configuration is associated with the best outcomes in wound patients?
- How can communication between clinicians in wound care services be improved?
- How can consistency in assessment, diagnosis and management inpatients with wounds be improved?
- How can wounds be prevented from becoming infected?
- How can wound healing be optimised in vascular patients?
- How can communication be improved with patients with wounds?
The following questions were also discussed and put in order of priority at the workshop:
- What is the best way to manage complex, hard to heal leg ulcers?
- How can Surgical Site Infection in vascular surgery be reduced?
- Which dressings are best for open wounds in specific situations?
- How can wound odour be reduced?
- What is the best way to debride (remove dead or unwanted material) from wounds?