Diabetic Foot Top 10 Priorities (priority setting in association with the JLA)
A final workshop was held 14th June 2021 and brought together patients and healthcare professionals to jointly agree a priority list for diabetic foot research.
- What is the most effective way of preventing diabetic foot ulcers?
- What is the most effective way of preventing further amputation after toe amputation for diabetic foot disease?
- Why are there delays in referral for diabetic foot disease?
- How can outcomes in diabetic patients with foot infection be improved?
- What is the best way of improving blood flow to the leg in people with diabetes?
- Can risk assessment be improved in patients with diabetic foot complications?
- What is the most effective way of preventing recurrence of diabetic foot ulcers?
- What factors affect healing time in diabetic foot disease?
- How can awareness of diabetic foot complications be promoted?
- Is an annual foot check for diabetic foot problems worthwhile?
The following questions were also discussed and put in order of priority at the workshop:
- Could more patients learn to self-administer antibiotics if needed / required?
- Is maggot therapy effective in diabetic foot ulcer healing?