Glaucoma Top 10
- What are the most effective treatments for glaucoma and how can treatments be improved?
- How can loss of vision be restored for people with glaucoma?
- How can glaucoma be stopped from progressing?
- What can be done to improve early diagnosis of sight-threatening glaucoma?
- What causes glaucoma?
- What is the most effective way of monitoring the progression of glaucoma?
- How can glaucoma patients with a higher risk to progress rapidly be detected?
- Why is glaucoma more aggressive in people of certain ethnic groups, such as those of West African origin?
- How can glaucoma be prevented?
- Is there a link between treatment adherence and glaucoma progression and how can adherence be improved?
The following questions were also discussed and ranked in order of priority at the workshop:
- How can a structural test based on nerve condition that would be a good predictor of visual field loss be developed?
- Can reliable methods of self monitoring eye pressure be developed and improve outcomes?
- How can damage to the nerve structure of the eye be prevented before glaucoma is diagnosed?
- Can any dietary measures, dietary supplements, lifestyle changes or complementary therapies slow the progression of glaucoma?
- How can the optic nerve be protected from damage due to fluctuations in eye pressure that may not be detected in the clinic?
- What effect does cataract surgery have on glaucoma?