Hair Loss Top 10s
for Alopecia areata (includes totalis, universalis and barbae)
- What are the causes of alopecia areata? For example- medications, medical problems, lifestyle, vaccinations.
- Are immunosuppressant therapies (for example- methotrexate, mycophenolate mofetil) better than placebo in the treatment of alopecia areata?
- In alopecia areata, are biological therapies (including JAK inhibitors and anti-cytokine therapies) more effective than placebo in causing hair re-growth?
- Are psychological interventions helpful in alopecia areata?
- Can progression of alopecia areata be prevented by early diagnosis and treatment?
- Do certain foods, vitamins or nutritional supplements improve hair re-growth in alopecia areata?
- What can be learnt about alopecia areata from other autoimmune conditions?
- In whom does alopecia areata hair loss progress and why?
- Do any treatments have a long-term benefit in alopecia areata?
- How effective are alternative therapies in alopecia areata?)
for Hair Loss Disorders (excluding Alopecia areata)
- What is the most effective treatment for frontal fibrosing alopecia?
- What are the causes of frontal fibrosing alopecia?- for example- dietary, genetic, autoimmune, skin care products, medications, hormonal, environmental, vaccination, infection.
- What are the causes of female pattern hair loss?- for example- genetic, hormonal and childbirth, autoimmune, dietary, other medical conditions, environmental factors.
- In all types of hair loss, are psychological therapies effective in improving patient outcomes?
- In all types of hair loss, what outcome measures should be used to assess severity of hair loss, progression and impact on the individual?
- Is spironolactone helpful in managing female pattern hair loss?
- In all types of hair loss, does raising ferritin levels/replacing iron improve hair growth? And what is the optimal level of ferritin?
- What is the most effective treatment for Lichen planopilaris?
- In all types of hair loss, do certain diets or nutritional supplements (for example vitamin D) prevent or improve hair loss?
- In female pattern hair loss, does hormone replacement therapy (HRT) halt progression of the hair loss compared to placebo?