Priority 9 from the Blood Transfusion and Blood Donation PSP
|UNCERTAINTY: What medical conditions make it unsafe for a person to be a blood donor? (JLA PSP Priority 9)|
|JLA question ID||0063/9|
|Explanatory note||Not available for this PSP|
|Evidence||1. Pasricha S, Speedy J, Low M. What do systematic reviews of iron supplementation in women tell us about the functional consequences of donor iron deficiency? Vox Sanguinis. 2015;109((Suppl. 1)):58-.
2. Hoogerwerf MD, Veldhuizen IJ, De Kort WL, Frings-Dresen MH, Sluiter JK. Factors associated with psychological and physiological stress reactions to blood donation: a systematic review of the literature. Blood Transfusion. 2015;13(-3):354-62.
3.Estcourt LJ, Malouf R, Hopewell S, Trivella M, Doree C, Stanworth SJ, Murphy MF. Pathogen-reduced platelets for the prevention of bleeding. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2017, Issue 7. Art. No.: CD009072. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD009072.pub3.
4. Chasse M, McIntyre L, English SW, Tinmouth A, Knoll G, Wolfe D, et al. Effect of blood donor characteristics on transfusion outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Transfusion Medicine Reviews. 2016.
5. Chasse M, Tinmouth AT, English SW, McIntyre L, Knoll G, Wolfe D, et al. Effect of blood donor characteristics on transfusion outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Transfusion. 2015;55((Suppl. 3)):123A-A.
6. De Buck E, Dieltjens T, Compernolle V, Vandekerckhove P. Is having sex with other men a risk factor for transfusion-transmissible infections in male blood donors in Western countries? A systematic review. PLoS ONE [Electronic Resource]. 2015;10(4):e0122523-e.
7. Webster J, Bell-Syer SE, Foxlee R. Skin preparation with alcohol versus alcohol followed by any antiseptic for preventing bacteraemia or contamination of blood for transfusion. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2015(2):CD007948-CD.
|Health Research Classification System category||Generic Health Relevance|
|Extra information provided by this PSP|
|Original uncertainty examples||Are the donor exclusion criteria truly evidence based? ~ When is safe to donate blood after contacting hepatitis A? ~ Why do I need to wait after travelling abroad if I have not been unwell or vaccinated? ~ Can a person with HIV be able to donate blood? ~ What are the criteria for being able to donate blood? ~ I have a blood cancer, how would it be picked up if I tried to donate blood?|
|Submitted by||7 blood recipients ~ 10 relative or carers of blood recipients ~ 21 blood donors ~ 13 health professionals ~ 4 unknown|
|PSP unique ID||0063|
|PSP name||Blood Transfusion and Blood Donation|
|Total number of uncertainties identified by this PSP||51 (To see a full list of all uncertainties identified, please see the detailed spreadsheet held on the JLA website)|
|Date of priority setting workshop||28 February 2018|